Pages

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Balancing Act

Colin and I put up a new route, or at least a new version of an old route on Colchuck Balanced Rock this past weekend. We spied some good looking corner and crack systems both above and below the rock scar. However, we weren't sure that there would be cracks in the rock scar or that the rock would be stable enough to climb safely. However we found mostly solid rock detracted only by loose rock left on ledges from the rock fall. While I'm sure it won't be popular and maybe not even repeated, the second pitch was the best crack I've ever done in the alpine. IMO it was as good as the Split Pillar but in a less impressive position. I would definitely run up the first couple pitches again if I were in the area.




Route Topo



Picture with route overlay


Climbing slab on fourth pitch.


Pulling through the roof on the third pitch.



Colin's hand a little torn up...

No comments: