Pages

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Something Old, Something New

It certainly didn't get any warmer over the week since Chad and I were last in Canmore... in fact it got a little colder.  At times it was a little too cold.  Consider our first day where we figured the high to be around -25C.  I'm still feeling some lingering frost-nip from leading that day.  Despite a somewhat favorable avalanche forecast the recent fatalities and natural releases coupled with the phrase "unsurvivable avalanches" kept us playing it pretty close to the vest.  Dodging avalanches is becoming a theme in my trips to the Canadian Rockies this year.  Despite, Donn, Chad, Rob and myself rallied for some good climbing.  Though I felt the low-hanging fruit was all taken, I managed to climb new routes on three of our five climbing days.

It's already late February and because of a busy March I won't be getting in the traditional early Spring ice climbing trip.  Though I'm sure I'll still get another 5-10 days of ice this season I can already feel the motivations subtly shifting from ice to alpine and even rock.  I can't say I finished any of the projects I started the season with.  However, I feel like I made some progress and given an opportunity am much closer to realizing those dream routes.

Who knows maybe my the Spring will shape up favorably and I can still make a couple forays on the big rigs?

Chad climbing "Moonlight"

Donn leading up "Snowline"

Donn on the first pitch of "Weeping Wall Right"

Rob following second pitch of "Weeping Wall Center"

Chad enjoying a perfect day on the second pitch of "WWR"

Chad cruising "Shagadellic"

Just trying not to lose my "Mojo" on this pumpfest


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, boy, great pics. Thanks for a good trip!

Carlos S.

Anonymous said...

Nice backstep! Have you been bouldering???? : )

Andy